An Open Letter to O Level Graduates

01:55



Hello there

The release of the GCE O level results on 11 Jan brought back memories of the day I collected my own O level results nine years ago. Perhaps it was because my little sister was one among the many of you, and I was feeling secondhand anticipation on her behalf. What happened on 11 Jan made me realised that nine years later, some things are still the same.

Just as there will be those who cry tears of jubilation every year, so will there be wet faces for the opposite reasons. After you get your results, and after the initial emotions wear off, comes the reality of having to make choices for your future.

At the tender age of 16, the thought of having to make choices for your future can be, and is indeed, daunting. I remember feeling as if the weight of all my dreams hung on what path I took, and on the score I received. Perhaps you are feeling the same way. 

Nine years later, I am here to tell you (with the benefit of hindsight) that really, those scores on your result slip, are not as important as you may think. It is probably difficult to believe me now, and you might even feel a little cynical, but hear me out. 

Whilst I am not claiming to know it all, and while I was blessed to be able to go through the JC -University path, what I do know is that getting a perfect score in your O's doesn't mean that you are automatically headed for success, just as how getting 20 points doesn't mean you are doomed for life.

Ultimately, the O levels is just an examination, and your score, a reflection of how well you can do at the examination. Your score does not define you. It cannot define how unique, how special and how precious you are. It also cannot measure how talented you are in other areas that are so important in life. It certainly cannot measure your character: how kind you are, your values and your morals - things that are worth so much more than your results.

The truth is, the world is much larger than Singapore. There are so many opportunities out there, so many things that you can do, if you are only willing to try. Even in Singapore, there are so many routes to be successful, so go and explore, and remember, you are only 16. There is a whole life ahead of you. Your future is and will not be determined, by how you fill in those 12 blanks in the JAE.

Yes, your next step in life will be a defining experience, and you will learn and see many things. But of even more importance than academic pursuit is learning how to be a human. Learn to always be curious, always be hopeful, and never give up. 

Don't let a score define you and most importantly, don't let a score stop you from dreaming. 

Sincerely,
Sam

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Follow me on Instagram

instagram.com/samgoesgaigai

Subscribe