Is Idealism that bad?

00:27

I've always been an idealist. Or at least I think so.

I like to believe that people are fundamentally good, that things will work out fine, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel turns out to be pretty long.

However, sometimes I wonder if it's time to pull my head down from the land of fluffy clouds and be a realist. Because I've been proven wrong by on so many occasions. People are not that nice after all, and no, things don't always work out fine. In fact, sometimes they suck pretty bad. Just look at the news headlines to see what I mean. Crime, death, complaints...what on earth is the world coming to?

So yes, my worldview has been rocked. But there is a higher way, thank God. To take our eyes of this world and look to him.

One of my favourite verses of all time is Romans 8:28:



I love how it just brings everything into perspective. Yes, you can still be idealistic because God works ALL things for good. But this doesn't always mean things will go your way, because it is according to HIS purpose, not yours. 

This gives me hope in a hopeless world. So back to the titular question: Is idealism that bad? 

Yes, if you are looking to yourself and to the world to achieve what you hope for. That's why people end up as cynics. Because there's only so many times you can proclaim "Carpe Diem" before sinking in defeat at another failed attempt.

But, if your hope is anchored in Him, who is before all things and in whom all things consist, then no, idealism is not bad. Hope in Him is faith, and even when we have no faith and no hope, He himself gives us hope.

Let us live by believing and not by the things we see around us (2 Cor 5:7). 

:)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Follow me on Instagram

instagram.com/samgoesgaigai

Subscribe