BKK Part III - Chatuchak Weekend Market
00:29Finally found the time to get down to chronicle my BKK tales - or food conquests rather haha.
So, I finally visited Chatuchak Weekend Market on my recent trip, and believe it or not, it was my first time there despite having gone to BKK a few times. Now I know what all the hype is about. :)
Although many people say the place has become a tad too touristy, I think that it is still a nice place to visit at least once when you go to BKK, because the place has SO.MANY.THINGS.
It is literally a shopper's haven, and you can find almost everything under the sun. Clothes, check. Accessories? Check. Home decor items? Yup. There is even a section selling pet clothing and care items! I think one day is definitely not enough to cover the whole place, but if you intend to just walk around and soak in the sights and sounds (and smells), a few hours will be a good amount of time to do just that.
My friends and I started our trip to Chatuchak with a good noodle meal at Soi 29 (we needed the energy to shop, hey). I did not take down the name of the place, but trusty Google says the name is 'Noodle Soup with Chicken', literally. The highlight of this dish for me was the noodles. Smooth and silky strands that went so well with the soup. Each bowl is 50 baht, or around 2 SGD.
Look at that drumstick. Just look at it.
After a delicious meal, we went our separate ways to wander amongst the various Sois (Streets?). I had a lot of fun walking through the alleys, although it was a sweaty affair, with lots of u-turning due to getting lost, and walking in the sun trying to find short cuts. If you plan to go there, it will probably be good to have a map. I spotted quite a few interesting shops, as mentioned in my first post, which really changed my perspective of shops in BKK. Here are some of the things that caught my eye!
Quirky rings, pretty paper lights and wax seal earrings!
After walking for an hour or two, my tired feet syndrome set in again, and my friend and I headed back to the chicken noodle store for a break. We had meant to get just a drink, but somehow ended up having a plate of chicken rice each. Oops :P
We went for another round of shopping after, and I managed to find a 200 baht stall selling dresses for you guessed it, 200 baht. I was really excited to see the stall and bought two dresses in 10 minutes! Shoppers gonna shop right?
My friends and I ended off our Chatuchak adventure with the must-try coconut ice-cream, and I'm glad I finally tried it! You get a choice of three toppings for each cup, and it was a nice cool treat to have on a sunny day.
A nice sweet ending to my BKK food and shopping posts :) Till the next post!
BKK Part I
BKK Part II




0 comments